16 Mar 2016

A Craft Tag - green distressed and an industrial theme

Hello friends,
 
I caught an inky bug that was flying around yesterday!
 
Got the distress sweats, then the crackle fever and ended up all grunged up.  
 
 The result was a tag.
 
For those of you of the CAS persuasion,

LOOK AWAY NOW!
 
 
 
Whoa! What's going on? 
This is my CAS site isn't it?
 
Well, yes and no. It will be for the main part, but as I've said before.....sometimes I just NEED to get down and dirty with inks.

 

What's the thinking behind this tag?

It was inspired by the industrial theme of Country View Crafts challenge. As some of you know, I love bright colours. So I set out to do something industrial that was fairly bright.
You see, I see industry from 2 perspectives:
  • on one hand it is dark and dirty and metallic and sometimes not good for the planet
  • on the other hand, it is a bright shining future. We'd still be in pretty dark ages if it wasn't for the progress of industry.
So I chose to reflect my second opinion.
 

Here's the details on how I made this tag.


A combination of Mustard Seed, Twisted Citron, Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers, and Mermaid Lagoon distress inks were blended on the base tag, water splashed on to create the droplets and then dried with a heat gun.

A texture stamp was added to  the bottom left inked up in Stazon Opaque Cotton White ink.

Then hand made templates using the Sizzix Thinlets Mixed Media dies
were cut out in card and sponged through with the distress inks, adding a little Hickory smoke DI into the mix.




Next a few images and words from the Creative Expressions Vintage Inventor stamp sheet were stamped in Archival jet black and Hickory Smoke DI.
I also added a few stamped cogs from the same stamp set in second generation Mermaid Lagoon

Aha! there's a bit of the industrial reference in the train and train tracks.



 Some Papermania X-cut Chronology Cogs were cut out and sponged in distress inks and then gilded with Creative Expressions Gilding Wax in Patina and Cast Bronze.

That's more industrial stuff!




The cogs were glued at different heights.

Wire in bright copper and a complementary blue was coiled around a paintbrush handle and added amongst the cogs like broken springs.





A train number plate was inked up, coloured with DIs and Inkssential Crackle Accents was applied to it. When dried and cracked some more of the cast bronze gilding wax was added to that.

A Papermania Chronology clock hand was bent and twisted & attached with a screw brad. You can just make it out to the left of the 'Thingamajig'.

The edges of the tag were also distressed with the two colours of gilding wax.



A tiny heart charm was threaded onto some coiled wire and this was threaded over some brass coloured raffia and white raffia that I coloured with the distress inks and then attached through the hole of the tag.


 






Finally, some other brass charm pieces were attached to the middle of some of the cogs, and 3 bronze gems were dotted about.





And there you have it - a bright industrial tag.

Please click on any of the pictures and go in for a closer look!
 
 
Think I may add this into a box frame and display it in my craft room.
 
Well, time permitting, I will try to enter a CAS project into this challenge too....but time is really tight this month.
 
Thanks so much for looking and please leave me some feedback on what you think of the tag.

Would you like:
More like this occasionally? or should I just go back to CAS only?
(haha! Think I can guess what my CAS followers will say!)
 
Hugs,
Sharon xx
 
 
 

Linking this to:

  1. Country View Crafts Challenge blog. They have a theme of INDUSTRIAL for their March challenge.
  2. Scrappy Hands Challenge - which has a theme of Tags



9 comments:

  1. Amazing tag, great tutorial. Love it!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tag, as you say sometimes you just need to get down and dirty! Thanks for the step by step, brilliant. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Not CAS but still fabulous Sharon! Love all the photos of how it's come together! Will done! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Not CAS but still fabulous Sharon! Love all the photos of how it's come together! Will done! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Sharon such a beautiful tag and love how you showed how to make it
    Ps : I am having a celebration on my blog with prizes...would love to have you join in.Here is the link : 5 Million Page-views Celebration

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your thought behind this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing tag Sharon, yes do frame it...I would too ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this is my first time here, I don't do CAS - but I love me some inky mess! ;0 This really rocks, maybe you should reconsider and get messy more often! The whole design is brilliant. Gorgeous colors, and all of the imagery works together so beautifully. Those stamps are fabulous - thanks so much for the link! Hugs, Autumn Clark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tag Sharon - the colours are awesome and the cogs fabulous! thanks so much for joining us at Countryview challenges this month and good luck! Hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog.
It is wonderful to read your comments and feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.