18 Jun 2016

Less is More 281 - Faux Bleach

Hi there. Are you well?

Gosh! Where on earth has that last week disappeared to? It seems like you blink and the week has just gone!
 
Well, it's time for another Less is More challenge
and this week is Theme Week
so we'd like you to use the
faux bleaching technique.
 
Well, being a technique junkie, and not having tried this particular one before I can say that I absolutely loved it!  I had to look up a couple of videos on YouTube to find out how to do it, but once I started there was absolutely no stopping me. 

Here is one of the links to a video by Sherry Cheever

3 cards to share this week.
2 using distress sprays and a final one that uses alcohol inks.
 
This first card is a fun one!
 I'm entering this first one into Get Creative Challenges - Bingo (I used Stamp, Black and Sentiment)
and Cards In Envy - Masculine
 
An Efco transparent stampset called smileys was used to create the panel. The smileys were stamped in versamark and clear heat embossed using UTEE. Then Distress Sprays in picked raspberry, mustard seed and carved pumpkin were sprayed randomly on the panel. The panel was covered with a couple of sheets of kitchen roll and ironed. That removed the clear embossing giving the faux bleach look.
 
Another smiley was stamped onto spare card in archival black ink and coloured with mustard seed distress crayon.  The tag die came with my Big Shot Plus machine, and the Papertry Ink sentiment was added with the Archival black ink and coloured with the same distress crayon. The mat behind the panel was also coloured in the same colour and everything was raised onto 3d foam pads.
 
 
 
My second card has a bit more of a dreamy feel to provide a contrast to the bold card above.

I'm entering this second card into stamping sensations - feature a creature
CAS on Sunday - butterflies

A panel was masked off on the front of the card blank, and Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz collection called 'Watercolour' was used (that stamps set has lots of butterflies in it) to be clear embossed - this time I tried Ranger Ultrafine clear embossing powder because not everyone has UTEE.
 
TIP: Before spraying the panel, I placed a craft sheet inside the card blank to protect the inside/back of the card.
 
The panel was sprayed with broken china, dusty concord and mermaid lagoon. Again, the clear embossing was ironed off with using kitchen roll to protect the iron.
 
I did make a little bit of a mess at the edge of the panel - so that was easily covered up by adding a very thin piece of ribbon to neaten the edge up.
 
Another butterfly was stamped in broken china on a spare piece of card and then cut out to adhere to the front of the card.
 
The sentiment is from a tattered lace die cut set. 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
And Finally

  I had to try out the alcohol ink version of faux bleach. 

I'm not sure that you can call the coloured panel "white space" - so this has probably pushed the boundaries of CAS to the extreme.
 
 But I LOVE this card
and I am sending it to my father for Father's Day
so I am sharing it with you anyway. 



I'm entering this one into Crafty Boots Challenge - Masculine
and Die Cutting Divas - Father's Day
 
The trees image is from a stamp set by Chocolate Baroque called Woodland Dreams. This was heat embossed with clear embossing powder onto shiny cardstock.  It was then pounced with alcohol inks in lettuce, meadow and citrus.  This time I had to use a piece of cardstock as the barrier between the iron and the artwork.
 
The sentiment is from DieSire. a couple of the corners were rounded and the panel was raised on 3d foam pads.
 
Hope you liked all my cards today. Thanks for sticking with the post to the end!  I can't wait to see what you come up with this week.

(I did make one other card to share as a third sample but it didn't turn out quite the way I imagined it. I don't think this technique showed the stamp off properly, so I decided to pull that one from this post. I will use the beautiful stamp when I return to Portugal so that you can see how gorgeous it actually is).

The rest of the design team have surpassed themselves this week so do take a look at the challenge blog and their personal blogs for more inspiration.
 
 
Now that life has calmed down for me (after the wedding - which went superbly) I have time to get back to visiting all your blogs again. So, please leave me a little comment and I will return the favour and come to see your blog too.

Hugs,
Sharon xx

19 comments:

  1. Love these, Sharon! That first one is so striking. What a great idea to use brights against a black background. The butterflies are beautiful (and the ribbon looks fantastic, so that was a happy accident!) and your third card is just stunning with those atmospheric AIs and the bold tree shapes. I've never tried lettuce, meadow and citrus in combination before but you can bet I will be now I've seen this card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous set of cards, Sharon! It was your LIM card that drew me to your blog, but then I saw your alcohol ink card. So striking and stunning. I ordered my very first alcohol inks last month and they happened to arrive yesterday. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning cards, Sharon! I love the smiley faces and the dreamy butterfly is so elegant. That alcohol ink card is gorgeous too....love that tree stamp. Great inspiration. I am glad to hear the wedding went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All 3 are gorgeous! I love this technique and am wondering how it would look done on the new Yupo paper? TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You have most certainly rocked the bleaching technique Sharon and I loved those smileys as soon as I saw them! Beautiful colours and your explanation of each card is perfect. Loving the butterflies too - so elegant and subtle. THEN what a fun background to the last one. I'm sure your Dad will love it. Glad you are getting back into the swing of things after the wedding but loads of happy memories I'm guessing. Hugs Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards, love the vibrant colours of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three beautiful cards, great designs - I love the CAS look. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cards, favourite technique of mine but I have not tried it with alcohol inks yet.
    The single butterfly really pops against the white background and the lovely inked panel

    Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sharon... These are all stunning cards... Love the last one...
    Hugs Sylvie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Love all your cards, especially the One you made for your father!!! Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin Divas this week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. A super trio of cards Sharon, many thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your bright and cheerful card. Terrific inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, what a fun "smile" card! Love those bright colors against the black base. Thanks so much for joining us at Cards in Envy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning makes yet again Sharon, these are completely stunning, I just love the butterfly one, the stamping and colours you chose are simply super!
    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many fun, fun cards. Thank you so very much for joining us in the "no girls allowed" challenge at Cards in Envy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! Love the fun smiley face card for our challenge! Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry for taking so long to visit! Wow, these are fantastic, Sharon. I love the dreamy blue and lilac with the crisp white on your butterfly card, so lovely. And your last card is so dramatic, what a fab stamp and the background looks terrific! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely cards. They illustrate how the same basic tecqnique can produce such different results.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog.
It is wonderful to read your comments and feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.