25 Jun 2016

Less is More 282 - Stencil


Hello. It's so nice to see you here today.
 
Have you come to see the latest Less is More challenge?  Yes? Well before I get to that.....

.... I would like to say a very warm hello to the latest member of our LIM design team. She is such a talented lady and all you LIMettes will definitely know her from the amazing commenting that she has been doing for weeks on all the LIM entries. 

Yes, it is Esther, from The Carnelian Wood blog.
Welcome to the team Esther. I for one can't wait to see what you come up with each week.
 
Right, this week our recipe is to use
stencils.
And remember that we still love to see loads of yummy white space.
 
My teamies have created lots of magic this week so do pop over to the challenge blog to take a peek.
 
I bet most of you were thinking that I cheated this week with the DT sample I made for the challenge blog, aren't you? 
 
I honestly didn't cheat. I wanted all my 3 samples this week to be a little different from brushing ink through a stencil. Hopefully these will inspire you to use your stencils in different ways.
 
I used a technique called 'doodle embossing'.

I picked the largest flower from the Clarity Stamps Flower Power stencil (7x7inch) for this technique. 
 
I attached my piece of vellum to the back of the stencil making sure that I offset the flower on the corner, then drew around the outline with a ZIG clear embossing pen.

Then I doodled lines inside the flower petals and doodled a bit of scribble in the flower centre.
 
I heat embossed this with WOW Metallic Brass Sparkle embossing powder. Then I repeated the process at the other corner.
 
The sentiment is from Clarity Stamps too and this was stamped in versamark and heat embossed in the same WOW powder.
 
A photo corners punch was used to attach two of the corners and the vellum was secured with a bit of DST behind the flower centres on the other two corners.

I am entering that first card into Sparkle n Sprinkle challenge - use loose glitter
 
 
 
 
Now I have my quickie card (well, if you ignore the drying time it is a quickie).
 
I took a Dreamweaver metallic stencil by Lynell Harlow No LM156 and attached it to my card blank.

I masked off all 4 sides of the stencil and then spread Sweet Poppy dimensions paste in a pearlescent colour through the stencil.

 I removed the stencil and left the card to dry overnight.
 
The sentiment is a die from Marianne Creatables No LR0224. It was cut out in white card and the I ran a quickie glue pen over it and added crystal glamour dust to it.  Simples!
 
 
 
This final card took a while to do. 

I would like to enter this into City Crafter Challenge - white and bright (my inspiration for the bright came from the tulip colours and yellow handle in the inspiration photo.

Here I used the Abstract Squares 2 stencil (7x7 inch) by Clarity Stamps  to create the backing.

 I drew around each shape with gelly roll pens ( Green star, Marine star, Red star and an unnamed yellow one) to create a border on the card blank. I did have to manoeuvre the stencil to find shapes to fit so that it filled the backing to the edges of the card blank. Then I coloured all the shapes in.
 
I added a piece of white card on 3d pads to create a mat.
 
The sentiment is from Whimsy Stamps (Birthday Sentimentables die set). I cut it out twice in white card and coloured one in with the gelly roll pens.  I stuck both of the die cuts together to create a bit of dimension on the card and stuck them to the white mat.
 
Well, I hope you have got some inspiration from these pieces.
 
As usual, please leave me a little comment to let me know that you have been and I'll come to see what you have been up to.
 
Hugs,
Sharon xx



15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the welcome! I love the techniques you've used. How creative! The cards look absolutely wonderful. That last one must have taken ages, but so worth it for that gorgeous burst of colour, and the other two are so elegant and stylish. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous ways to use your stencils, Sharon. I would never think to draw around the apertures but this is a great idea to get different results. I love that pearlescent paste for that design, I completely forget about my metal stencils, thanks for the reminder! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. FAbulous cards Sharon and all so different... so much inspiration here, it's hard to choose a fave, but the one with the vellum is just lovely!
    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards Sharon xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three very different techniques, and each so pretty. Terrific inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great techniques shown there, lots of inspiration. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your technique...I love vellum, a beautiful card x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've really clever made a colourful card but still kept to the white and bright theme. It makes me think of sweeties! I've enjoyed seeing all your great cards here. Thanks for joining in at City Crafter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very inspiring post, so clever ways to use stencils. I just dabbed ink through mine :)

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great ways to use stencils, Sharon! I love the effect you have got with doodling and embossing on vellum and the colourful blocks make such a bright and happy card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mmulti colour background is fab;I love that mdern pattern. CAS and fab design! Thanks so much for joining us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loves the variety of techniques. Great inspiration, thx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply AWESOME Sharon. When I first saw your first one I though Hmmm that can't be a stencil but you are too clever by far. A stunning, neat and CAS technique that's fantastic. Love the other too also - the complete CAS simplicity of the second and rocking the vibrant colours with the last one. so effective, fun and graphic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful cards! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are fab .... and each one so different. Love the vellum one, what a clever way of using the stencil xx

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog.
It is wonderful to read your comments and feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.