9 Jul 2016

Less is More 284 - Time/Clockwork - One Layer

Hi there. Are you well?
Thanks for stopping by.

Wow! Can't believe that another week has whizzed by in a flash and we are here at Saturday again. Gosh - so much has happened this week, but more about that later.  You're here for the cards aren't you?

Today is our One Layer Week at Less is More and you all make some amazing one layer cards so I can't wait to see what you do on one layer with this week's theme:
Clockwork / Time

My first card smells just heavenly - I think I have an addiction to sniffing gilding wax!

This is a really quick and easy card to make.  The computer generated sentiment was printed onto the card blank and then it was run through an embossing machine with just one end inside the Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations embossing folder ( sorry, I can't remember the name of this one).

The embossed end of the card was masked off and creative expressions metallic gilding wax in patina and cast bronze was randomly smeared onto the embossing with my fingers.  Job done!

Next is a card that uses the faux bleaching technique we showcased a few weeks ago.
 
I'd like to enter this next one into the Take A Word challenge  where the theme is TIME.

The computer sentiment was printed onto the card, then the Papermania Urban Stamps - Beautiful Timepieces was stamped in Archival black ink. This was then heat embossed with Ranger superfine clear embossing powder.

Masking tape was applied around all four sides of the image and then the whole image was covered in a thin layer of Pergamano Tinta gold ink. Before the ink had time to set the colour was lifted out of the central watch image with a paintbrush and water.

The final step was to apply a generous dollop of glossy accents to the bleached clock face and leave it to dry.


Now for another real quickie
Two sets of Craft Stamper magazine freebie stamps were used throughout this card.

The clock face and time flies sentiment were stamped into place using Adirondack mushroom ink.

Then the wings from the other set were inked and stamped in the same ink but placed each side of the clock face.

Then highlights and lowlights were added with a polychromo white pencil and a grey spectrum noir pencil.




Finally, here is the card that I was going to put as my main DT sample but the idea is so close to what Chrissie had made, and besides, she beat me to adding the photo to our DT site - plus her version is so much more classy! ;-)

I'd like to enter this next one into the Deep Ocean challenge where the theme is Colours of Summer.

A panel was masked off at the bottom of the card, and 3 watches from Clarity Stamps were randomly stamped in the panel, with lots of masking to ensure the overlapping looked right.

The watches and background were coloured in with distress markers, then the masked off area was covered with clear Versamark ink and heat embossed with clear embossing powder.

The sentiment is also from clarity stamps and it was inked in the corresponding distress inks to create the ombre effect. First the stamp was inked all over in the yellow, then the orange was added around the outside trying to leave some clear yellow in the centre, and finally the red was added to the outside edges. Before stamping I 'huffed' with my breath on the stamp as that helps the inks to merge a little better.

Well that's it for the cards. Please do pop over to the challenge and to my teammates' blogs to see what one layer wonders they have created this week.

If you are not interested in the waffle about the kitchen fitting then please feel free to scroll down and leave me a comment about my cards - I love to read what you have to say about them.
 

Kitchen update

 
So - I said lots have happened this week, didn't I? You do have to laugh about it all....



We cleared the kitchen down so now nearly every room in my house has some kind of kitchen equipment in it - including the fridge freezer being in the lounge (not complaining about that - it makes getting the ice for a nightcap really convenient! ha ha!)






The builders found a birds nest the size of a small car in our extractor! If the vents into the extractor from the roof were not so small I would have thought it was a stork's nest! It filled two large buckets when it was all squashed into them. Gosh! How lucky are we that the thing didn't catch fire when we were using the extractor? - I say 'using' in a very loose sense because it obviously didn't work with all that nest in there. lol.



The neighbours came flying over the next day because they thought the house was on fire. Ha ha! It was plumes of dust coming out of the kitchen doors and windows from the builders cutting through concrete - cutting out the door from my old pantry to make room for two oven housings that will be flush to the wall.
The houses are made of concrete over here - I think because it can withstand the earthquakes better and they are cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Concrete is what caused all the dust clouds!


Then came the wiring for the new lights. The poor builder was completely stumped with how the original wiring works, so he went away to think about it overnight and the next day he came back and said he would start from scratch. Can't say I blame him - we have switches at 3 different doors for one set of lights in the kitchen. You would think that if you switched the lights off at one door you would be able to switch them on at any of the other doors wouldn't you? Nah.... not in this house. If they had been switched off at the hall door neither of the other two switches would turn them on. But Yay! at least that mess will be sorted out now - happy days.

Final bit of calamity - they cut through a water pipe but that was quickly fixed.
Can't wait to see what they get up to this coming week! ;-)

Thanks so much for sticking with this post and thank you for popping by.
Hope to see you again next week
Hugs,
Sharon xx

14 comments:

  1. Oh crikey Sharon - kitchen chaos! But it will be worth it :) Can't believe that nest. Calling it stork nest size might be understating it!! Your cards are fabulous and show so many marvellous techniques. Impossible to pick a favourite. Your ombre effect sentiment on the last card is superb! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and elegant cards as always, Sharon! I didn't realise that you had used gilding wax to create those gorgeous colours on the first card! I love the rich effect of the gold ink on the second card with just the single highlighted clockface. Good luck with the kitchen - looks like it has been an eventful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful collection of cards! (Love your blog, Sharon).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon
    Fabulous cards... All stunning...
    Hugs Sylvie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Sharon! you are upside down in your house atm. lol. I hope it all gets sorted/finished quickly now. It will all be worth it I am sure.Not sure I would be any help making blinds...a long time ago now lol. I got a length of cream linen fabric and made some slots and threaded round dowling through. Attached a cord along the side and glad to say it worked! Gorgeous cards here , so inventive too ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have been busy! love all your cards, just lovely,
    Sarita xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...looks like lots going on for you at the moment! I'm sure your new kitchen will be just as beautiful as your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cards Sharon, all of them are fabulous! I need to get me some gilding wax!! :-)
    Love the photos of your kitchen too, we had ours done last year and it was a huge mess, but the upshot of that is that while the work is going on there is no point in doing any housework, so more time for crafting!! :-)
    I am sure it will all be worth it and look fabulous in the end :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG your kitchen WILL look fabulous for sure but I'm with you on the upheaval although can't say my builders discovered a nest - that's HUGE! Oh and how you've put together such a spectacular range of clockwork cards amongst the chaos is beyond me. I'm guessing you were ultra organised! Each one is fabulous and a can't pick a favourite - just sat here with stash envy!!! Have a fun week and looking forward to the next kitchen installment. Hugs Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific set of cards all so wonderfully different, but it is the colour scheme of the first that really drew me in, love cool colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab inspiration, hope the building works are nearly done. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  12. great cards!!! I love clockworks.
    TFS and have a great wknd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I'm so late visiting, teamie!
    What a fab array of creations. I love them all. Sounds like you have a great stash of different mediums, I always love reading how you create your cards as my stash is pretty limited! Love the crisp edges to your focal point on the retirement card x

    ReplyDelete
  14. All these cards are great. You are indeed so talented. And I have been wanting to tell you that I consider you lucky to live in sunny Portugal. We had plans to visit Portugal along with Spain and they remained just plans. I feel a special something for Portugal as I have spent three happy years of my childhood in Goa which was a Portuguese colony owing to the fact that Vasco Da Gama set foot in Goa when he was sent to discover India.

    The tiles on your floor are just too pretty and I love them.

    Happy crafting,

    Monica

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog.
It is wonderful to read your comments and feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.