12 Nov 2016

Less is More #302 - Books or Literature - One Layer Week

Hello to you! Great to see you here today.

I hope you have had a fantastic week and are ready to join in the next
 Less is More challenge.
 
It's the dreaded ONE LAYER week again (don't they pop round quickly?)
 
and the theme this time is
Books /Literature
 
The rest of the design team have provided some stupendous makes this week so I hope you will visit all their blogs for additional inspiration. Hop over to the challenge for the links to their blogs.
 
I must admit that I struggled a bit this week. Not only did my mojo go walkabout, but I realised that I only had one stamp with books on it! So I had to get creative and think about the theme and turn it into something I could work with. Only 2 cards from me as I ran out of time this week.

1) Breakfast at Tiffany's (book by Truman Capote)


Perusing my stamps I happened on this gorgeous Audrey Hepburn stamp by The Stamp Man. Perfect for Breakfast at Tiffany's, I thought. Hmmm....I wasn't sure if Breakfast at Tiffanys was only a film...so after a swift internet search to confirm it was indeed a book, card 1 was born.
 
 
 
I'd like to enter this card into
Cards Und More - Girls, Girls, Girls
Aud's Sentiments - Anything goes with a sentiment
 
 
The image was stamped in Versamark Onyx black ink and masked with a post-it. Then using the Ranger marker air spritzer, the background was spritzed with Black Soot and Festive Berries distress Markers. The sentiment is from Clarity Stamps word chains. it was finished with tiny clear gems in hair and earrings, and pearls for the necklace.

2) Memoires of a Geisha ( Book by Arthur Golden)


One of the books that I've read in the last 20 years that completely transported me to another time and place was the Arthur Golden book Memoirs of a Geisha.  I was enthralled by it. So it was a natural choice for me to do something with that for this challenge.

 
I found something on the internet to sort-of turn the word 'memoir' into a font that suited the freebie Craft Stamper Magazine oriental lady stamp.  The word was digitally added to the card blank, leaving space for the image which was  then stamped in Versamark Ink. A bit of masking with post-its (some torn to create a deckle edge) allowed the word band to be inked in distress inks. The geisha was coloured in with normal colouring pencils.


I'd like to pop this in at Freshly Made Sketches - #262

http://freshlymadesketches.blogspot.pt/


 Well that's it from me for now. I do hope that you found something that you liked here. Thanks for looking and I hope to see you again soon.
 
Hugs,
Sharon xx

18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are so creative! I love the classy Audrey Hepburn stamp and how you've made a soft background with spritzed Distress Markers. The gems and pearls are looking gorgeous! Your second card is a total knockout. The font, the deckled edges to the inking, the perfect colouring... and a super book inspiration too! Wow! This card has it all :) Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon you are a whizz at these themed challenges and there's absolutely no evidence that your mojo is on a walkabout. I love that sophisticated Audrey Hepburn stamp and your BG is just awesome, teamed with those glam pearls ... it's a winner. Your second one is so inspiring too and so much attention to detail to depict your favourite book. Have a fun weekend and hope you've recovered from the fun fair! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautifully stylish card Sharon...love the audrey hepburn image and your addition of gorgeous pearls...thank you so much for sharing with us over at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two very classy cards here Sharon, loving them both ;) hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon! First of all, I'm still chuckling at your comment about Kathy K and I being bookends at LIM :) Just so long as we aren't Tweedledum and Tweedledee! I must admit, she's out of the traps like a greyhound and I tend to be more like the tortoise! Ha, could that be an idea for a card this week :) Any books in mind?

    LOVE your cards, the Breakfast at Tiffanys one really caught my eye and I do love the Memoirs of a Geisha card too. As you say, a fascinating book!

    Added myself as a follower - you need more folk to follow your lovely work! Do feel free to come and play in the Snippets Playground with us (if you dare risk a squishy hug from Parsnip the Bear and cider behind the bike sheds of course!). Sarah P does play when she has time - but understand if you're too busy!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psst Can't email you due to being on Linux and it doesn't play ball too good - but will be in Albufeira in January for a week! How cool (hopefully NOT cold) is that then?! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative interpreting the theme at LIM this way. Nice job with these evocative cards. And your coloring on the geisha card is fab. Thanks so much for sharing these with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards! I love how well the cards reflect the books! What great images! The Geisha cards is very dramatic looking. So fabulous! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TFS! Please share about the font maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. This is the page I used. I just typed the word in and copied the result.
      http://goodcharacters.com/alphabet/alphabetweb.php

      Delete
  10. My favourite film and book is Breakfast At Tiffany's and I adore Audrey Hepburn so for me...the first project is a perfect card but I absolutely adore both the cards you've created! Thank you so much for sharing and playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are both inspired, Sharon! Love the inspiration that you have delivered on this theme which I found a bit tricksy :) The Audrey Hepburn image is gorgeous and works perfectly with that Clarity sentiment and I LOVE the geisha card - a fave book for me too. I hope you have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome image and loving the red around the image. The added pearls add a great touch. Thanks for sharing over at Aud Sentiments.


    Billie A
    Aud Sentiments
    Creative with Stamps
    Catch the bug
    Inspiration Destination

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such creative takes on the challenge. Love it, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work Sharon and it made me smile this morning, especially the Breakfast with Tiffanys. Brings back some memories. Thanks for visiting my blog. Since you made a point of talking about no additional matting for a one layer card I wanted to point out that I have no additional matting. My card is only one layer all inked on the base card stock. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are wonderful, Sharon. You've captured so much visual interest on these one layers. And great inspiration for this challenge too xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments
    Julie T

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog.
It is wonderful to read your comments and feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.