21 Jan 2017

Less Is More #312 - New Beginnings

Hi there,
 
Whoosh!
That's another week gone in a flash!
And here we are at the next Less is More challenge.
 
Today is:
Theme Week
New Beginnings
 
I loved this theme as it gave me the chance to get ahead on a couple of cards for later this year. I already know of 4 people having babies in June/July so hopefully a couple of my cards today will be used then. 
 
As some of you know I've been really busy recently, and my cards have been a bit 'average' due to lack of time. So this week I made time to have a good old play. I picked a new technique for me (bokeh) and used it in two cards. Yes, I know, the bokeh technique had been around for aaaaaaaaaaaages but I have personally never tried it before. It is so easy I would urge you all to have a go.  There are lots of tutorials on YouTube - just type in "distress ink bokeh background" and that'll get you started.

1) Blue Baby Bokeh


As I enjoyed playing along with some sketches last week, I thought I would play along with a sketch or two again today.  This is a lush layout! Thanks to the ladies at PaperCraft Crew Challenge for it.


For the bokeh oval, I used the filled in circles from Happy Little Stampers Mix Mash set, stamping them in Distress inks of tumbled glass, shaded lilac & broken china and then used a VersaColor ultimate pigment ink pad in white.
The new baby sentiment is a tattered lace die - cut 3 times and stacked together.
The cute hippo is from Happy Little Stampers Birthday Friends Set; it was stamped onto watercolour paper but I decided not to watercolour it in the end and just used plain old colouring pencils.
The foiled acetate comes from Hunkydory.
The card is finished with tiny square brads from my stash.

I'd like to enter that card into:
Craftaholics R Us #19 - New Beginnings Guys Cards
Cute Card Thursday #461 - Cool Colours/Tones
Paper Craft Crew Challenge #227 - Sketch

2) Pink Baby Bokeh

So after a blue bokeh I decided to do a pink bokeh panel. This is a pretty vibrant one because I forgot to blot the picked raspberry before stamping it on one of the circles . So I ended up making more darker pink circles and, to be honest, I actually like the effect.  This one uses another super sketch from the ladies at Freshly Made Sketches.
 

Again the filled in circles from Happy Little Stampers Mix Mash set were stamped in Distress inks of spun sugar, tattered rose, picked raspberry and VersaColor ultimate pigment ink pad in white.
The little Nellie Elephant is from Happy Little Stampers Birthday Friends Set, again stamped on watercolour paper but coloured with ordinary coloured pencils.
The sentiment bubble was created on my brand new, oh-so-shiny, love-it-to-bits ScanNcut - yes, I was a very good girl last year so Santa was extra nice to me. (just need to find time to have a really good play with it!)

I'd like to enter this in at:
Deep Ocean Challenge #146 - Anything New
Try It On Tuesdays - Anything But Square
Freshly Made Sketches #271 - Sketch

3) Retirement.

And here is my "thinking outside the box" card. It really is a new beginning when people retire but that isn't something that we would naturally think of when confronted with the new beginnings theme.


A ClarityStamps sunburst stencil was inked with dried marigold distress ink onto the card blank. The sentiment was created on my new ScanNcut and using the drawing function it was drawn onto the card blank. The image is called Jack and Ginger from Mo Manning and it was coloured with distress markers before matting onto some blue card.

I'd like to enter this one into:
Crafty Cardmakers #180 - New Beginnings
Dream Valley Challenges #147 - Something New

Well, that's about it from me.  Don't forget to hop over to the challenge blog to see the beautiful creations my fellow design teamies have made.
I should have a calmer week coming up this week, so at last I will be able to keep on top of all my commenting. Thank goodness!
 
See you again next week
Hugs,
Sharon xx

17 comments:

  1. Firstly...there's nothing average about any of your cards! And secondly....wow, your bokeh effects look great. I've STILL not tried this so really must give it a go, it works brilliantly on both of your cards and I love that you've coloured the ellie and hippo with pencils. Retirement was a great idea for this challenge too. Enjoy your scan n cut, one envious lady right here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Neets said! And I love these cards sooooo much. The bokeh looks stunning on the first two, and I agree the darker pink circles go really well. It's a lovely effect. And cute hippos and elephants are just perfect for baby cards. Adorable! A retirement card is a great addition for "new beginnings". Beautiful colouring, and the sunburst background goes so well and really sets off the image. Glad you managed time for a proper crafty play and hope you have a super weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto the other 2!!! Sharon where have you found the time to create such wonders this week! They are stinking cute and fabulous. Your colouring with the pencils and distress markers are just A* professional. I'm in awe of your talents. Loving the bokeh effects you've created and it's a while since I used that technique but need another play now!!! Oh My you have a scan and cut! You are doing awesome work with it and another 'green' teamie sitting here!!! Enjoy your weekend. Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning trio to inspire us this week, Sharon! I love the bokeh effects you have created....I must give it a go again. That elephant is so cute :) The retirement card is beautifully coloured and a great way to celebrate a new phase in someone's life. Great techniques and fab designs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous image for retirement. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Dream Valley Challenges.
    Hugs
    Cathy DT Member
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baby cards are so sweet, Sharon, and I love the image on the retirement card. Who says old folks can't be romantic?! Thanks for joining in at Dream Valley.

    love Mags B DT x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cards are just perfect inspiration. Your coloring on the retirement card is just amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super adorable card Sharon! I just love that bokeh oval! Thanks so much for joining us at Paper Craft Crew this week! :) Tina, DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful selection of cards. Thank you for sharing one of the adorable baby cards with us at TioT's.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are both wonderful baby cards, Sharon. As a photographer myself, I love the bokeh effect on cards now too. Thanks for joining us at the Paper Craft Crew. Crystal, DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fun set of cards. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cards! Thanks for sharing at Craftaholics R Us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your cards ! I love your bokeh background, I will have to find a video because I do not know this technique ! And what a great idea the retirement card for a new beginning, that's the positive way to see it ! Thanks for sharing and for inspiring !
    Izzy Scrap

    ReplyDelete
  14. Three great cards, and that Baby Girl cards is so sweet.
    Thanks for sharing with us at TioT
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cards. Thanks for joining us at the Crafty Cardmakers Challenge. Hope to see you again soon.

    Peggy T.
    Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! Your hippo reminds me of the house hippo in those tv commercials! Thanks for playing along with us at the Paper Craft Crew. Christyne - DT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sharon, just came to check out your blog. Love your style with the cards you make, though you use a few bits and pieces they still manage to look CAS. A style I try to achieve but rarely hit the nail on the head. I love all the cards here especially the little hippo one, and those neat square embellishments look wonderful. Instead of always round ones. Off to do a bit more looking.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog.
It is wonderful to read your comments and feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.